The History of the Office of Group of Companies “Viterra”
The office of group of companies “Viterra” is located in a two-story mansion, built in the historic center of Nikolayev, on the street named after Admiral Makarov (before the revolution the street’s name was Catholic).
In the second half of the XIXth and the beginning of XXth centuries they began the active construction of buildings and structures in these districts forming the “historical look” of our town. Therefore we applied all the efforts to preserve the facade and structural elements of the building while doing the repair-and-renewal operations in 2015.
As we can see in the attached historical reference, during 80 years this building was functioning as a children’s hospital, which took and helped the thousands of children. Later the building was privatized and rented by the commercial bank and political organization. It lasted until 2013. After the tenants left the owners of the building stopped maintaining it. Moreover, they cut off the heating there, thus brought the building to the state of emergency.
It is in this state we bought it in the beginning of 2015. Immediately after buying-out it we began the repair and restoration work, that was successfully finished in the shortest possible period of time. Within up to 6 months numerous repair and construction brigades literally were fighting for the survival of the historical building and keeping it on the map of Mykolayiv.
As soon as we have layer after layer removed everything that was brought to this place after it was built, we have opened up the architecture and interiors which are designed on a plan of the first owners. This stone carving and stucco, masonry and complex. Of course, time is relentless, and was able to recover, not all, but we hope that in the form in which the house was brought before the eyes of his contemporaries, he is able to convey the city’s appearance the beginning of the twentieth century. Since September 2015 the new building settled “tenants” – groups of companies belonging to the Group. Realizing the importance of preserving the history of the building and its first owners, we appealed to the City History Museum to conduct archival research. That its results have allowed us to be happy to find out that the builder of the mansion was our colleague – a prosperous merchant Nicholas PM Stoyanov.
We consider it symbolic that a hundred years after the death of this great man who was able to combine outstanding commercial talent with active civic stand, we found ourselves in his house continuing the glorious tradition.
We enclose a copy of a historical reference that we received and hope that the names of people mentioned in it will not be forgotten by descendants.
Object: a two-story mansion, located on the Admiral Makarov Street, 40, the town of Nikolayev (the historical name of the street: Catholic Street, 32. 48 Odessa block).
Almost the whole block, in which the object is located, was in the possession of state councilor Ivan Kashnev, the ruler of the Office of the Chief Commander of the Black Sea Fleet and its many successors.
Then a Greek citizen, Danish vice-consul in Nikolayev Nikolay S. Serbos seized this district.
In 1888 he sold it to the honorable citizen of Nikolayev, merchant of 2nd guild, P. Stoyanov (pictured).
Pavel Stoyanov (1848 – 01/02/1913, Nikolayev) was of a merchant family, got home education. Since 02.02. 1896 – junior broker of the Nikolayev Exchange Committee. 1888 – 1913 – member of the city duma. In this role, he was elected as a member of numerous commissions and committees(tiling and barracks, allotment of land, taxation of commercial and industrial enterprises, audit (municipal pawnshop inspection), the head of the military horse section (mobilization of horses in case of war). Since 1893 – the trade deputy of Nikolayev, a member of the Committee of the Municipal Public Bank. Since 1898 – the member of the Supervisory Committee of Nikolayev Municipal Credit Society, the deputy of the state control examination of saving bank offices and storages of the State Bank.
Member of the following non-governmental organizations: Red Cross Society (1892), Water rescue society (1893), Charity society of protection of those who approached to education (1894).
Pavel married the new Prague bourgeois Sorokin’s daughter Maria. Had children: Alexander (05.06.1883), Catherine (22.9.1884), Mary (07.16.1887), Alexey (02/26/1892), Nikolay (12/03/1893).
In 1894 Stoyanov had the following real estate in Nikolayev:
- the two-storey house on Catholic Street, 32 – location of the object;
- one-storey house on Catholic Street, 54 (the house has not remained);
- numerous shops (stores) on 2nd Slobodskaya, Zavodskaya, Melnichnaya.
House on Catholic Street, 32 was built soon after the purchase of yard space – between 1888 and 1894. The area along Pushkinskaya Street, 10 was 21.3 m and along Catholic Street – 53.3 m.
Date of 1910 on the pediment indicates final completion of the construction works or reconstructing of the building this year.
After the Pavel’s death the eldest son Alexander inherited the house. He studied chemistry and agriculture at the University of Kiev and was fond of yacht racing. His father bought him a deuce “Dusya” and later the ship “Prelest”, built by the English company “Fire and Son”: displacement – 22 tons, cruiser length – 15 m, width – 3.3 m, sailing – 229 sq.m.
Alexander P. Stoyanov (pictured in the center in the uniform) was the deputy commander-in-chief of the Yuritsin yacht club on the economic part, a member of the race committee, a candidate member of the economic department (and later manager on the economic part). He often took part in racing and sailing the ships and rowing boats. It is written about Stoyanov in the book on the history of the yacht club: “Odessa athletes who arrived to celebrate the anniversary of the yacht club (10 years in 1897), summoned for rowing competitions four sailors and lost it. One of the winners was Alexander Stoyanov. He won the title of best rower of the season, repeatedly came close to victory. In one of the rowing races Stoyanov came to the finish line one second later after the famous A.D. Kvitka, and the next time he conceded no less skillful yachtsman PG Karakayev. He also crosses the finish line the last. It happened when women wanted to participate in rowing races on an equal basis with men. In such cases, Alexander showed the worst time. His gentlemanhood won. Stoyanov was also a good gymnast and a great photographer.”
In 1914-1917 he was the worker of the technical bureau at the shipyard. In 1916 he was elected to the Union of sports associations of the town. In 1919-1926 he was the paramilitary training instructor and the chairman of the water sports section of the Technical Committee of the Council at the Nikolayev Physical Education County Council. The section conducted extensive work on the development of sailing and rowing. He worked at the Black Sea shipyard, in 1949 he retired being a senior chemical engineer. But Aleksandr Stoyanov lived at that time in the house on Catholic Street, 54 (and other addresses), and the two-story mansion on the Catholic Street, 32 was sold soon after his father’s death.
In 1915 the owner of the house was Shmuyl-Leiba B. Weksler, a merchant, the member of the Jewish almshouse patronage, the owner of some rows of shopping stalls on the market square, had the real estate on the Privoznaya Street (now Dunayeva Street).
After the establishment of Soviet regime there was an ambulance station and the receiving-room of the maternity and child welfare service hospital and then there was a children’s hospital.
The neighbors of the 48 block were the following properties: down Pushkinskaya Street, 12 – the house (with a mezzanine, remained) belonged to Mikhail G. Konigsberg, who owned the hydropathic establishment on Bolshaya Morskaya Street, 3/1.
The house at the corner of Catholic and Faleevskaya Streets (Faleevskaya Street, 7/2, modern 17) was the hotel “Renault” (owned by the baron M.A. Renault), and then it was a property of M.I. Cooperman. In 1887 the house on Faleevskaya Street 7/1, modern 15, was bought by the vice-consul of Germany, Austria-Hungary, and the Netherlands Franz I. Frishen. He was the founder and chairman of the South-Russian society of floating elevators, the managing director of the Nikolayev office of the St. Petersburg International Society of loading equipment and Warehouses. After World War I began, he went to Germany.
“Use the memory of thy predecessor, fairly and tenderly; for if thou dost not, it is a debt will sure be paid when thou art gone.”
Frances Bacon – English philosopher.